We’re building a team of innovators and disruptors to help us recreate
insurance to meet the demands of an on-demand world.
DIRECTOR – SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
WE are Slice Labs Inc. (Slice). We’re building a team of innovators and disruptors to change the insurance experience to meet the demands of an on-demand world. At Slice, we’re focused on ensuring our products provide a positive, individualized customer experience. Our smaller teams invite broader thinking and problem solving, where nobody is pigeonholed into a predetermined role. We work in an open, supportive, environment that values and promotes inclusiveness, innovation, and collaboration. It’s fast-paced, dynamic and fulfilling.
Our Technology platform for on-demand insurance is our passion and core to our company’s success. We operate completely in the cloud, with a modern technology stack. We are already delivering products to our partners in the US, Canada, Europe and Asia. We’re looking for someone who is excited to play a key role in rethinking and remaking an industry by delivering foundational software that truly changes the game.
This ROLE reports directly to the CTO and is accountable and responsible for leading the development and deployment efforts of Slice’s Software and DevOps teams to effect solution design, analysis, development, testing and deployment activities. The role works closely with our Director of Architecture to collaborate on research into current and emerging frameworks and technologies to ensure smooth adoption and integration. This is a working level Director position.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Lead, mentor and direct a multi-disciplined team of developers to design, develop and deliver products and features on-time meeting minimum functional requirements.
- Coach, manage and grow team members to bring their best to the table every day.
- Exercise judgment and discretion in overall planning ranging from team structure, resourcing through to project planning.
- Collaborate with Release Management and Quality Assurance to help plan and coordinate releases and ensure delivery priorities are aligned.
- Deliver and operationalize new insurance products in multiple jurisdictions.
- Influence the technical direction for the team, collaborate with the Director of Architecture to evolve the technical platform, and participate in technical choices.
- Drive world-class software development rigor and quality by maintaining and improving upon high standards for code, technical and design reviews.
- Work with the management team to help define and adjust the organizational structure required to deliver our unique solutions to the global marketplace.
- Define and build a world class Software Engineering team to build and deliver our unique global solution.
- Help in the definition and ongoing refinement of our agile delivery processes and development standards and practices.
- Collaborate with the Product Management team on feature planning and define associated work packages for the team.
YOU are a leader and a doer. As required, you can shift from a strategic discussion to participating in a code review. You are a big picture thinker who considers all the moving parts and loves to plan and strategize while getting things done! You know how to structure, grow and get the best out of your teams.
- Proven ability to manage and lead software development using agile/scrum principles.
- Success in building high functional software teams fully capable of delivering on commitments.
- Solid understanding of mobile, web and cloud based technologies.
- Sound knowledge of Java and the Java ecosystem and design best practices (Domain Driven Design,Design for Testability, Test First Design, DI, IOC etc.).
- Knowledge of RESTful design concepts and considerations Including API versioning and dependency management.
- A sound understanding of design concepts and best practices required to build systems with considerations for scalability, performance, maintainability, testability, and extensibility.
- Strong communication skills enabling you to collaborate with business stakeholders to understand needs and translate them into technical requirements.
- Sound knowledge of large scale platform development concepts and considerations (e.g. version/dependency management, continuous integration, automated testing).
- A collaborative style that enables you to effectively work with diverse teams, customers and clients to build, test and deploy new features and products.
- 10+ years in software development, 3 of which have been in a similar role.
- University degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related technical field.
Slice is disrupting the idea that insurance needs to be a fixed product, with a fixed term, with fixed coverage. We believe it can and should be all digital and on-demand, so customers get only the coverage they need, right when they need it.