We’re building a team of innovators and disruptors to help us recreate
insurance to meet the demands of an on-demand world.
WE are Slice Labs (Slice). We’re building a team of innovators and disruptors to change the insurance experience to meet the demands of an on-demand world. We are disrupting the idea that insurance needs to be a fixed product, with a fixed term, with fixed coverage. We believe it can and should be all digital and on-demand, so customers get only the coverage they need, right when they need it. At Slice, we’re focused on ensuring our products provide a positive, individualized customer experience. Our smaller teams invite broader thinking and problem solving, where nobody is pigeonholed into a predetermined role. We work in an open, supportive, environment that values and promotes inclusiveness, innovation, and collaboration. It’s fast-paced, dynamic and fulfilling.
The DATA SCIENCE team is key to Slice’s ongoing success. The data we have and the models we build are foundational to our platform and quite literally drive our business. Our work improves the customer experience, grows our market share and drives business outcomes. This is an opportunity to play an active part in delivering our data vision and determining how we get there. All that to say: Data Science work here at Slice is far from theoretical.
This ROLE develops and executes Data Science projects across the company. This means hands-on work at all points in the data lifecycle, including data wrangling and mining; feature engineering; model-building and testing; and implementation and communication. Your work will ensure that all our decisions are data-driven – this means that you will have a direct impact on the customer experience by influencing critical decisions on resource deployment and customer engagement. Our immediate applications include marketing analytics, fraud prevention, and risk/value modeling. (Our future applications are boundless!)
YOU are passionate about data. You enjoy being able to combine your analytical, technical and business skills in one role. You love solving problems and predicting behaviours. You are a collaborator and a communicator and are energized by working with multidisciplinary teams. You are a hands-on learner and are excited by the thought of moving past theory and examples to real-time data science work.
- An effective communication style with an ability to translate “the complex” to “the simple”. You are adept at data visualizations and have experience working with real time data
- Working experience with Python, including Pandas, NumPy, scikit-learn, NLTK, and Keras/TensorFlow. (*If you are more comfortable in R, let’s still talk!)
- An understanding of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine learning algorithms, clustering and classification techniques.
- Working experience with non-Excel BI tools such as Tableau, Looker, Superset, PowerBI, etc.
- Some exposure to one or more sub-fields of data science, especially GIS/spatial analysis; graph theory/network analysis; or natural language processing (NLP).
- You are comfortable building datasets using traditional relational databases and you’re familiar with alternative databases (noSQL, graph databases) or big data platforms such as Apache Spark.
- 2-5 years of experience using data, models, and common sense to solve tough problems.
- University degree in engineering, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, mathematics or a related quantitative discipline.
Slice is disrupting the idea that insurance needs to be a fixed product, with a fixed term, with fixed coverage. We believe it can and should be all digital and on-demand, so customers get only the coverage they need, right when they need it.